At The Nicholas Hamond Academy we understand the importance of Science education and how it provides students an understanding of the world around them. Through their Science education our students develop a sense of excitement and curiosity; and an understanding of how science can be used to explain what is occurring, predict how things will behave, analyse causes and be able to make informed decisions through their Scientific understanding.
The curriculum for science aims to:
- Prepare our children for life in an increasingly scientific and technological world today and in the future;
- Help our children acquire a growing understanding of the nature, processes and methods of scientific ideas;
- Help develop and extend our children’s scientific concept of their world;
- Build on our children’s natural curiosity and developing a scientific approach to problems;
- Encouraging open-mindedness, self-assessment, perseverance and developing the skills of investigations – including: observing, measuring, predicting, hypothesising, experimenting, communicating, interpreting, explaining and evaluating;
- Develop the use of scientific language;
- Develop the ability to interpret information from the range of media available in students everyday lives and make decisions about its accuracy/ bias;
- Make links between science and other subjects.